Saturday, August 22, 2009

A designer wedding!

The bride and groom
Brent comes from a family of ten kids. Since I have been in the family 3 have since been married. And those 3 I have either done an invitation design or designed the decor. The truth is in college I did friends wedding dresses and even in New york I fit in making a few wedding dresses for friends and clients. So what's to stop the creative juices now? 4 two year olds, no way.
So when I got asked by Jon and Annie to design there decor..I jumped at the chance. Annie my now sister in law is an anthropology fan!! And her wedding was set in Sundance, Utah, perfect. So she gave me a color pallet of candy colors with a dash of Aqua to go with.
Starting with a bride who has clear personal style always helps. She dresses what I call modern vintage with a little quarky thrown in for fun, but above all girly.
I have had this idea for a while to use wallpaper patterns to make (traditional Mexican fans.) and hang them in multiples for a party or wedding. I thought the bigger the better. So 200 fans I decided was the minimum. Each fan has to be folded, painted and constructed....do-able but alot of work. Brent and I folded a ton before we went to Utah. When we arrived to many to mention got involved.
Jon the groom was on a mission and responsible for folding a majority of the fans with perfection...who knew he had skills. It was great, because friends and family got together to fold fans a few nights and fun was had and work was done. Seriously, thank you to all that helped!!
I love working with a concept. Even after I had decided my design, photos started to pop up showing the fans on a small scale or even on clothing, and quilts. Even a few days before the wedding the anthropology's catalogue came out mimicking a similar idea... Great minds must think alike.
So why wallpaper? Anyone who helped fold will attest to the fact they fold easier and they are indestructible. But for the most part the patterns they are putting out in wallpaper is awesome right now. I tried construction paper too and used a few but they were floppy and you couldn't paint them without them wrinkling.
Some fan pictures:
So what do you think?!
Along with Annie's inspiration in color and style, She really wanted a candy-bar. This is a very popular item at wedding as of late but if done well can be a great signature to the event. Annie constructed the candy table and arranged it beautifully. To cap it off I ordered these great wood chandeliers and painted them her Aqua shade. They highlighted the table perfectly. The colors of the candy she choose reflected the rooms decor.
The cake looked so lonely so I added theses fabric ribbon hoops, Looking back I should of kept them to the floor and pooled it around the cake.....or something. But it gave me another great idea for the wedding I'm working on now.
(Annie and I really wanted to put a lemon head base for the cake to sit on but too many ideas to little time.)
My sister-n-law did the flower arrangements. I had never really caught on to billy balls before but Annie wanted these to be a main flower and they were a hit. The sheer whimsy of them really related to the candy theme. Anyhow my sister-n-law Jess is painfully talented but better yet awesomely funny...Doing a wedding is exhausting but calls for alot of laughter and good times.
My new sister in law (Annie) thinks she exasperated us..but truth is we loved it and it was a pleasure to be part of.

6 comments:

Brooke Eriksen said...

Wow! You never cease to amaze me! Seriously! I love that you made them from wall paper. My very talented friend.

Anonymous said...

Darling!

Annie said...

Autumn, these picks are awesome (Thanks to your incredible talent!) NO doubt you are a true artist- lucky me that got your help to create a dream wedding. It would not have been half as incredible if it hadn't been for you Jess and all the Kimball help!!

Morgan said...

I just wanted to stop by and say that I love your blog. I came across it a little while back. I don't even remember how. I hope that you don't mind my reading.

I think you're incredible, especially now that I see how creative and talented you are (the decorations are amazing). It's hard to believe that you're a mother of four two-year-old boys. You never seem stressed out. Maybe you are sometimes, but it's clear that you make time to stop and smell the roses, to recongize all of the beauty in your life. That's what's most important. I really admire that. You're amazing. I just thought that it was about time that I leave you a comment and tell you all of that:)

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous!

cstephens said...

I love you fans and would like to create something similiar at my wedding, could you send me the directions on how to make these?? My email is christinestephens26@yahoo.com.

I loved the spread in the Wedding Magazine, you are amazingly talented!!