Thursday, August 16, 2012

Alcatraz 2012


First off, let me say I am behind in posting and life in general...so please forgive. I have raced several Triathalons this year, with a few to go. Escape from Alcatraz however has to be the hardest... one for the actual race the other, for it's location cross country.

Conditions: Awesome

Swim: 
So much harder from last year..not sure why could be the amount of Kelp or how I stayed in the center of the field. Either way I repeated my time from last year give and take a few minutes. Problem was it took it out of me for the rest of the race..this is a problem because the swim is my safe place.
Bike: 
This is insane in every way!!! I trained more for the bike this year..it didn't matter the hills crushed my spirit to the point I looked forward to the run. 
Run:
I trained as much as I could on the run and it paid off. I felt awesome I kept a 8min pace with one problem: bottle necking. If you ever get the pleasure in running this race you will know what I mean when I say..it is impossible to race in the run. Unless you cheat and bush wack or skip the 5 foot high tunnel, and can pass on loose sand. At one point we almost came to a stop from people running on the wrong side of the 12inch path. I know it sounds lame but it calls for massive sprints and a dodge and a weave. I love this part.

Result:
I bested my time by 15 minutes. Hilarious. 
Still loved it. I do pretty well for really never having enough training under my belt. I know i can do so much better, and yes I will sign up again.

I was certain Brent, was going to get in last minute and I would not be racing alone. He did make it to California the same weekend however to checkout a practice in San Diego. I thought about the prospect of moving to California my whole race....slightly, distracting.

The best part, had to be my parents flying out to see me race, I even found my mom in the crowd after the swim to give her a kiss. It was fun being the only child for a second and without my own kids. Love them.

Returning to Memphis the day of the race had to be the cherry on the cake. I took the red eye of course and found my seat at 12:00 am to sleep, when over the PA they anounce there is no water flow on the plane therefor we all must get off! Kill me! I even said out loud, "Everyone can hold it for a few hours fly the darn plane!" I was over ruled. 
We didn't get another plane until 3:00am, then landed in Chicago where their were no connections till that evening.

I raced  a crazy race, I had not slept, my body hurt, people were yelling, No one was available to watch my kids an additional day, and I was helpless. 

Conclusion:
Slept in a corner of the airport, felt a little more normal, My kids teacher from school took mercy on us and watched the kids another day, I made it from San Francisco to Memphis..it only took 400 hours. And yes, it was worth it in the end.



Can you find me? You can see the algie on my face from the kelp, yuka.










No comments: