Monday, November 16, 2009

"Golden Child"

When growing up as a kid my brother (Sverre) and I were 2 years apart and either perfect playmates or UFC wrestlers. My brother was well liked and had tons of friends. He was a risk taker from birth, building ramps, being the first on the block to have Rollerblades (and kill at it.) He was a skate boarder, snowboarder, extraordinaire. I worshiped him. I was a determined tomboy, crew cut and Op hand me downs for full affect. I always wanted to tag along with his friends. Sverre let me most the time but I kept a safe distance in hopes to elongate my welcome.
Eventually I would ask to many questions or want to try something and get hurt. Sverre in turn would get frustrated at me and either have me removed by mom or left me home without me knowing. Which was the worst because mom somehow thought piano practice was a great replacement to having fun with the big kids.
Often as with all kids we would get in trouble for rough-housing , quarreling, grades, or breaking something. The thing was we both would be brought into the office separately and Sverre would be in for but a moment and my parents would come out laughing and rubbing his head as if to say "Oh Sverre, your so silly."
I would follow soon after for the same offense....and no kidding, I would come out and it was dark so much time had passed. No parents were laughing and I had gotten a consequence attached to the alleged crime!! What! And I know my parents were saying, "what are we going to do with this girl!!"
So I gave my older brother the name "Golden Child."
It still remains only for the reason he hates it and it gives childhood stories a new glow for me.
Now having four boys the same age I wonder who will be elected "Golden Child!"
It's a title not given by the parents but by other siblings....so who will it be? I have my guesses but at this rate I think the title will be passed around without sticking.
When I tell Brent about this he chuckles with little understanding...you want to know why?...I married a Golden Child!
Other famous "Golden Children":
John F. Kennedy
Prince William
And Michael Jackson below
p.s. I have a younger brother who was better in every way compared to Sverre and I. He just escaped the chastising due to birth order...lucky duck. Love you Trig!

1 comment:

jensenfamily said...

Anytime I can be compared to Michael Jackson, I am grateful -SVerre