Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Unexpected

The lights are up...even if they look better photographed blurry, they are up!!!
Opening up the boxes brings nostalgia and meditation. Among all the boxes, lay a forgotten box. One I haven't opened since our first year married. When the boys opened it they found a string of popcorn. Gentle they aren't, and after handling it and tasting it, they left it in a wad on the floor.
I found it at the end of our family decorating and realized it was the first ornament and only ornament on our first tree together. I know a little gross given it's eatable factor, but I can hardly convey the rush of thoughts that came back to me.
I think most new brides have an expectation factor and I prided myself on not having that. Meaning, I wanted the complete unknown, I wanted to expect nothing to be a certain way... Example: No, perfect house, husband home a 6:00, dinner on the table, and perfectly groomed. Another example was once wed not to be settled down (dream wise).
My view of marriage was that the world would only become bigger and the possibilities only broader once wed. I do believe it is based on whom you marry. I married right, and knew that from the beginning.
I honestly believe there is not a dream to small or to big but once you stop dreaming you might as well pack it in.
When hanging the feeble popcorn garland I envisioned each popcorn puff to be a dream fulfilled, and the rest yet to be lived.
I have been thinking about my life up till now and where I see it going from here. You don't really have control in most of it, but you do have the ability to dream and be directed by those dreams. When I think of my children I wonder what they will want and who will they become. I have the same goal as their mom not to have limiting expectations..(this does however not include: being potty trained, being gentleman, doers, righteous, and adoring there mother..these are expected!!) But I do wish them the journey, I have been granted thus far. One of adventure and challenge, of gain and loss, of all consuming love, and freedom to fail.
It's funny how a measly popcorn garland can make your mind run, mine has a habit to sprint. There has been more Joy in the unexpected in my life, I can hardly convey.
To that I Wish all the blessing of the UNEXPECTED.
Popcorn garland in there somewhere.

No comments: